Where to find an Au Pair
The trend to become an Au Pair is huge. Australia has become a top priority country for Au Pairs from all over the world in recent years. A simple Google search for Au Pair Australia will swamp you with a heap of results.
Naturally you will find quite a few Au Pair agencies in your searches. Agencies are quite pricey and as you are on our sites I believe that you already decided that an agency does not give you the service to validate the costs. Good choice!
To make it a bit easier I am presenting here a selection of where to source Au Pairs without an agency:
Sign up for our Newsletter in which we post our Au Pair offers
- Facebook has established itself as a great option for your search. Au Pair Assist runs very popular groups, where you are free to join and search for your Au Pair. Please always start with a like of the Au Pair Assist Facebook page to show potential Au Pairs that you and they have great back up. All our groups are listed here. Please ensure that you always read the group description.
AuPair & Work and Travel Australia is one of the biggest group around
Au Pair Surfing Australia helps with short term positions up to 6 weeks
but there are many more ...
- Families looking for a Granny Au Pair can post their request on Granny AuPair Oma Australia where Au Pair Assist will make sure that your granny comes well prepared.
Please do not forget that those free internet sources won't be monitored as much as you hope. It is up to you to judge whether an offer/search or enquiry is legit or not. Trust your gut feeling!
- We also give our members more exposure via our Facebook page and will post via our Network.
The biggest selection will be on internet portals
- The Best Au Pair: An Australian based internet portal with fantastic search filters and very reasonably priced. As they are based in Australia, the information given is reliable and creates realistic expectations. Au Pair Assist has established a good contact with the providers and believe, that this is the site with the best customer approach.
- AuPair-World: a German based portal with Au Pairs and Au Pair families from all over the world. This is the largest portal at the moment. You will find a broad selection of Au Pairs but the search filters have some flaws. You will receive a lot of applications which do not suit your requirements, so please be prepared to invest some time to filter through search results and applications. Also they have tippled their premium membership fees quite recently, so that the flaws in filtering don't outweigh the benefits anymore. Please request our Au Pair-Search document for a better experience.
Note: The information given to Au Pairs on the site about Au Pair conditions in Australia is misleading and although a number of Australian families including Au Pair Assist tried to have this rectified, misleading and recently wrong information grows. A profile on Au Pair World is good, but to ensure that you don't waste your time with unsuitable candidates, you can simply refer them to our international or German websites for accurate information what it means to be Au Pair in Australia.
And: Our service in Australia is so great that AuPair-World started to copy ... of course without giving us the credit for it. So they are not that ethical as they pretend to be.
- Great Au Pair: Another big portal where Australian families have quite a bit of success. If you prefer a native English speaker we believe you will be lucky here. We do not have our own experience with the site and queries to the support team remain unanswered. Mostly US and Canadian Au Pairs are using that site.
- A very good source for Au Pairs in Australia is Gumtree. If you search for an Au Pair (also try live-in nanny) try to extend the search range to include all of Australia as quite a few Au Pairs are happy to change location but due to language might not have had the right settings for their post. You will find more family posts than posts from Au Pairs, so post your own add for free.
Again, be aware of spammers and never pay anything upfront to an Au Pair.